Monday, May 11, 2009

23 things 'n@

Okay, so this blog was created as part of a cool library educational experience called "23 things" where we learn about and explore 23 different technology-related things.  Voila!  Here is my blog. We are supposed to comment on our experiences thus far with the 23 things and continue to post as we evolve.  So far, it has been quite interesting.  The learning styles quiz was helpful, and reminded me somewhat of the Myers-Briggs personality test.  I enjoyed reading everyone's posts and discovering that many of us are verbal-linguistic and naturalistic learners, which is where I fell.   Have to agree with one person's post that all this technology strains our "free time."  This is one of the reasons I tend to be reluctant to embrace the new gizmos and gadgets.  It's not that they aren't cool, it's just that I can see myself being sucked down into yet another black hole only to emerge hours later with my "to do list" unchanged.  In short, it sometimes seems more process than product oriented.  I guess that places the burden on us to make sure it's time well spent!  :)  

5 comments:

  1. Awesome first post Kara! This stuff CAN be a time suck, if you're not careful - I will probably blog about this today...if I can make time for it!

    Glad to hear 23 things is going well for you so far. Also, not all who wander are lost. ;)

    LAV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Kara! It's true that some of this technology can be draining, but I find it has energetic-tendencies too. Like right now, tons of projects, but I'm so delighted to be reading and commenting on participants' blogs that I think that energy will carry all the way into my evening! Our work is sometimes so solitary, so some of these tools that help us connect to each other help me keep on keepin' on. How cheesy am I! But time-management is key no matter what - something I still struggle with. I'll be interested to hear more about that as you proceed. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to think of these little peeks at other people's blogs (and hopefully my pokes at my own blog) as my breaks that keep me productive so my mind doesn't melt into an icky puddle of goo all over my keyboard. The tech department hates cleaning brain goo.

    Some days my brain starts out more goo-ish than others. Those days require more breaks. Trust me, directors, they're a good thing! Those are the days I occasionally get that atom from nowhere that hits my brain just right to smack and stick to the goo, producing a wonderful idea (she says humbly).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kara! I do remember you from SLIS--I actually planned to check out your blog and ask you if you were that Kara. Nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kara,
    I came across your blog through the 23 Things. I love the picture of your family in Disney!

    ReplyDelete