Wednesday, November 10, 2010

it's the end of the world

So after my run on fairy/pixie fantasy stories, I seem to have entered the realm of charming armageddon type teen books. It started with Gone, then I read Birthmarked, Mockingjay, and The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Waiting on my bookshelf are The Line and Watersmeet, also similarly plotted with teens facing the apocalypse. Surprisingly, because of the action and the often romantic subplot to these books, they aren't terribly bleak (as Cormac McCarthy's The Road, for instance). But the best so far would have to be Mockingjay. The others start out with an interesting and engaging "hook," but like a hamster on a wheel, they keep spinning the same stuff and going nowhere. If I had to read one more time about the "Unconsecrated" reaching out in The Forest of Hands and Teeth, I think I might have hurled the book across the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment