Friday, April 2, 2010

she's a superfreak

Okay, my latest reads haven't been as stellar. The best of the bunch would definitely be Very LeFreak by Rachel Cohn. It's the first book of hers I have read, and it was quite good. Compelling subject matter: super social college freshman addicted to technology who has to go to rehab (ESCAPE). I liked the idea, and amazingly, liked all the main characters, even when they were making choices I disagreed with. But at times the writing style was a little too trendy; when I read books like this I can't help but wonder how they will hold up in 10 years? I would recommend to older high school students.

The Broken Bike Boy and Queen of 33rd Street by Sharon Flake gets a thumbs up. Quick, easy read and one I'd recommend to elem. kids. I just finished Solace of the Road, by Dowd, and wouldn't readily recommend it to anyone. Just didn't go anywhere fast enough, though it had a good twist at the end. Some books grab me, some don't. This just didn't.

Re-read Schooled by Gordan Korman. Love this book!! More fun to read the second go-around because I knew how it would end and I wasn't as tortured by his temporary setbacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment